Alameda County H.E.A.T. Watch Tip Line: 1-510-208-4959.
Join our mailing list.
“The commercial sexual exploitation of children is the most hidden form of child abuse in North America today. It is the Nation’s least recognized epidemic.” -Richard Estes, University of Pennsylvania, School of Social Work Center for Youth Study.
Commercial sexual exploitation of children (CSEC) is defined as criminal practices that demean, degrade and threaten the physical and psycho-social integrity of children
There are three primary forms of commercial sexual exploitation of children: prostitution, pornography and trafficking for sexual purposes. Other forms of commercial sexual exploitation of children include child sex tourism, child marriages and forced marriages.
National Facts on Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC):
Oakland, CA is a thriving underage sex market, and is the epicenter of a trafficking triangle between San Francisco & Contra Costa counties.
46% of all prosecuted human trafficking cases in California came from the Alameda District Attorney's office.
Of 486 youth identified in Alameda County as at risk for or already involved in commercial sexual exploitation from January 1, 2011 to March 20, 2015, it was found that:
- 86% had juvenile arrest history.
- 79% had a runaway history
- 56% had drug use history
- 40% were currently in custody or had been in custody of Social Services.
- 22% had a family criminal history
- 29% had mental health challenges.
- Reported 1,782 sex trafficking cases
- Rescued 191 children
- Obtained CSEC related charges on 71 traffickers
- Most cases involved multiple traffickers and child victims of CSE
- Observed a nexus between exploitation & technology in virtually every case
- Almost all cases involved victim and/or an offender utilizing Internet tools, most notably Backpage.com to further the exploitation